Thursday, April 06, 2006

Andrew and Jacob's 15 minutes of fame, Part 2


My brother, Andrew Schmid, and his son, Jacob, are getting all 15 minutes of their fame out of the way this year. First their King Kong snow fort landed them in the Novi paper in January, now Andrew's expert commentary on Pine Derby vehicle design and manufacturing has him being quoted in the Free Press. Jacob and his car get a mention, too. Didn't he have a Batmobile design?

You can read it here.

I guess all of that schooling and time at Ford taught him something about cars. Here's an excerpt from his e-mail.

I guess this is my year. I got quoted in the Detroit Free Press Newspaper's Community section. For those who do not know, a Pinewood Derby is a race conducted by Boy Scouts. Basically, cars are made out of a piece of pine wood that is formed into the body. The plastic wheels are installed into the body with nails. They roll down a ramp and the fastest wins. I was put in charge of the vehicle design competition.

P.S. No Schmids are visible in the picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jacob's car is mentioned in the article. His car looked like the 1970's batmobile (unintentionally). It was supposed to look like a jet (without wings). Elise, Bethany and I also raced cars. None of us won, but Jacob's almost won his division (he also got that divisions second place for design).